When: 1st to 8th February 2020
Where: Albir Playa, Costa Brava, Spain
Aimed at: Riders at all levels capable of riding 30+ miles
For the last 2 years, our club sponsor, Elite Cycling has organised a spring training camp for the club. It’s actually more of a holiday, with some great cycling thrown in and comes at exactly the right the time of year; just when you think winter will never end.
The temperature in southern Spain at that time of year is usually 16-20°C and mostly dry. The roads are almost empty, and the rides are stunning. Yes, it’s got some hills, mountains even, but few of them are as steep as the stuff we do on a Sunday. Most are steady but longer climbs, with some fabulous descents. All rides are expertly led by Paul’s team who know all the best local routes.
The hotel is a resort spa and well geared up for cycling, with secure bike storage and cleaning facilities. The Spa facilities are the perfect way to relax after a good day in the saddle; whilst the hotel bar and restaurant offer a range of good quality food and an excellent and very affordable Rioja.
You can bring your own or rent a decent bike from probably the second-best bike shop in the world.
This trip is highly recommended. There is a great mix of riding and relaxation, the location is superb and Paul and his team organise it brilliantly.
The cost for the week is £649 based on 2 sharing or £799 for single supplement.
Costs – what’s included:
- Airport transfers in Spain, including bikes
- A week half-board in the Albir Playa Hotel (breakfast and dinner are included)
- All cycle coaching
- A single free Spa entry Monday-Friday
What’s not included in the cost:
- Flights and transfers in the UK are not included*
(*These are currently about £35 each way before you add luggage, a seat, air, steps to get on the plane etc.)
- Bike hire can be arranged at £100 for the week
- Bike box hire £8 per day or Box hire + bike dismantling, packing and rebuild for £75
The best flight to book is the Easyjet from Gatwick to Alicante:
- Out: 07:25
- Return: 11:35
What members have said about this trip
“Paul and his Elite team deliver amazing cycling terrain, good food and great company – what more do you need from a training camp?”
“Amazing, surprising, fantastic. It was one of the best cycling experiences I’ve had, with great coaching, great roads, and superb companionship for the week. Even the hire bike exceeded my expectations. I’m back for a second year.”
“I really enjoyed the Penge CC training camp last year. It’s hard to beat riding your bike in Spain, on silky smooth roads, bathed in sunshine, in early February. Added to that, we had great camaraderie in the group, and were expertly led, supported and encouraged by the team from Elite. I came back feeling refreshed in every sense, and significantly fitter. It was a great experience.”
How to sign up
- To sign up, please register your interest here on Rider HQ.
- Once you have registered your interest, your contact details will be passed to Paul and he will take care of all of the arrangements from there.
- You will then be asked for a £100 deposit
- There is a section on the form which you only need to complete if you are renting a bike.
- Pay your deposit by online transfer to Paul and confirm via email that you have done this to Paul Mill: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The bank details are:
- Sort Code: 40-18-41
- Account Number: 23912671
- Reference: [Insert your name]
A reminder email will be sent to you to pay the balance due by the 1st December 2019.
Sign up now – you won’t regret it.